Sunday, January 15, 2012

Is this a hawthorn?

I'm terrible at identification... I live in Northern Utah and there is a fairly widespread tree that to me looks like it could be a type of hawthorn. It has toothed broad leaves that are wide in the middle, with pinnate veins. The flowers are small, white, and in flat sort of clusters, while the fruit is a sort of pale red, like very tiny apples (size of a large bead, maybe). The bark is rather rough with a faint reddish tinge, and the spikes, which are set at about two inches apart on the branches, are straight rather than curved. I see these all the time. I saw a picture of a hawthorn before and it kinda reminded me of these trees, but I know that there are several varieties. Anyone know what this could be?
Is this a hawthorn?
Hawthorns are in the rose family and have many stamens. Check these. Send pic. Google (images) Hawthorns Utah (Also genus Crataegus).



The pics you sent could be a Crataegus(I've not seen one with such lanceolate lvs).

Suggestion: Google Utah university botany sites and send them a pic. (P.S.: Could be a hybrid) (Close-up of flower might help.)
Reply:It sounds like a hawthorn (Crateagus), the leaves are quite variable between species.........



There are several *dozen* species of Crataegus in Utah alone, without a picture, I couldn't be more specific...
dermatitis

No comments:

Post a Comment