Sunday, January 15, 2012

Sick hawthorn?

I have an ornalental pink-flowering hawthorn growing in my lawn. It is approximately 10 years old and normally is very healthy with loads of flowers in early summer but this year the poor thing is not looking at all well. It had no flowers and the leaves are very scarce compared to normal and look a bit yellowish.



I put a mulch ring around the tree a few weeks ago but no sign of improvement. I had some very well rotted manure mixed into the compost. Do you think the tree is lacking nutrients and if so, how do I best provide these? I really want this tree to survive as it was the last tree my grandmother planted before she died.
Sick hawthorn?
The best advice I could give you is to try the plant pest and disease identifier on the bbc gardening website.



www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/advice/pests_a...



I have had lots of problems in my garden this year which I don't recognise and I think it's something to do with the weather. Not the weather itself necessarily but the weather affecting which bugs are thriving and which aren't. I haven't seen as many aphids as I would have expected but there are plenty of other problems.



One thing I'd recommend to everyone is the PAN-UK site which gives you a page on Least-Toxic Pest Control Solutions and Products www.pan-uk.org/Projects/Local/alt~dir/a~...



and some really good monthly gardening tips sheets emailed to you every month www.pan-uk.org/Info/gardening.htm

which I have been using for a year or two now and they are very very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment